The Room

I love a good quotable movie.  We have so many as a family that regularly get quoted.  Even some that the girls have never seen but they've heard Nick or me say often enough become part of their regular cadre of phrases.  A perfect example is from the "best worst movie ever", The Room.  I have seen this movie only once and once is quite enough.  If you've seen it, you're familiar with the phrase "You're tearing me apart Lisa!".  If you haven't seen it, don't bother.  It's like The Rocky Horror Picture Show--just, why?

Anyway, as children do, mine are constantly asking questions.  Most of them completely irrelevant to just about anything.  I get so tired of the questions.  We developed a way for me to say that I've had enough questions without them feeling like I was brushing their concerns aside.  After all, sometimes that questions were relevant.  I had simply run out of patience.  So, we agreed that when I'd had enough, I'd just say "You're tearing me apart Lisa." and they would understand.  It worked out great.  There was a bit of comic relief for the adults and the kids wouldn't feel hurt.

Recently, we were in a gas station getting snacks for one road trip or another when the questions started right in the checkout line.  It's always an ordeal to get snacks from Wawa--there's the sandwich ordering, the chip picking and then the drink juggling.  Trying to get everyone's preference is just harrowing.  By the time we were ringing up, I was reaching my breaking point...and then the questions!  I had just had enough.  I looked at Ivy and said "You're tearing me apart Lisa" in a calm, monotone voice.  She understood instantly.  The store clerk, however, started laughing uncontrollably. 

"You must have seen the movie."  I said.  He just kept laughing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes