Hedonism

I'm reading a book on Christian hedonism.  At first I was really looking forward to it--finding pleasure in pursuing God.  So much of Christianity feels like you have to suffer to be a true Christian.  There's a song about it--something about blessings coming through raindrops and healing through tears.  While I'm sure that happens plenty, I have a hard time believing that God wants us to suffer or that we have to in order to experience salvation.  Isn't that what Christ did for us?  He took the suffering; He took the pain; He took the tears and the rain so that we could be spared. 

Sadly, this book seems to take the side of pleasure in suffering instead of pleasure in God.  Like somehow we can't enjoy what He gives us unless we are doing so only out of a desire to please Him.  It gives the example of Paul and how he talked about suffering for Christ while he was imprisoned.  Certainly the disciples were martyrs for the cause of Christ and if they had not sacrificed all that they had, we would not know Jesus as we do.  And of course they are plenty of people (Mother Theresa comes to mind) who aren't interested in the "pleasures of the world" and are able to give up every common comfort and luxury for their calling.  We've all done that to some degree and just maybe didn't see it as something we've done for God.  Our families, maybe, but God? 

Here's an example--when Nick went to Korea, he did it to progress in his career.  He did it for our family.  But he also did it for God--because he was called to do it.  Because flying is his way of honoring the gifts and the passion God has given him.  He gave up plenty--time with us, our home, our bathroom (see my post on the oddities that are Korean bathrooms).  I'm sure it doesn't compare to the harshness of Paul's life but it was definitely a sacrifice.  Maybe that's all this book or that song means but I'm not so sure.  I've heard so many lament the evils of wealth and luxury.  But those things aren't evil and neither is having them.  In fact, I think God wants us to have them.  More so, though, He doesn't want them to have us.  I think it's good to enjoy what He's given us and I think He takes pleasure in our pleasure.  And isn't that what we're really here for?  To make Him happy? 

I love everything He's given me.  I hope I'm taking good care of them all.  I don't think He thinks I'm not suffering enough.  No parent would feel that way (I hope!).  I'm pretty sure God is no different.  So I'm going to roll around in the abundance He's given me.  I'm going to gather it up in my arms and swim in it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes