Coffee

It's 2:00 in the afternoon.  I've been up since 3:30.  It's a typical day.  Awake early, a short walk while the coffee brews then 40 minutes with one cup, Bible study and a review of my day.  It's going to be a long one today--afternoon meetings and after school activities so I won't be done until 7:00.

It's been a chaotic couple of weeks and it's all catching up with me.  Hungry.  But I've eaten lunch.  What's in my bag?  Nothing...  This isn't good.  Pregnant, hungry and out of food.  Sounds like the name of a new reality show.  Ok, I have time to run out but it's too late for second lunch and too early for dinner.  What then?

Coffee.  Of course.  But should I?  Hmm.  I open my cabinet.  It's full of k-cups.  But none of them are decaf and I really shouldn't have caffeine.  That means going out.  Starbucks isn't far.  But should I?

I sit and think.

What do I want?

Hot or cold?

Definitely hot--it's been rainy and chilly.

Peppermint.  They have it year-round now.

Ok ok.  I'll go.  I get up and walk towards the door.

"I'm going for coffee," I announce, but we're so short staffed that no one notices. 

I drive across the street and over to the Starbucks.  It's not crowded but it's so...festive!  The red cups are out.  The PSL is plastered everywhere.  And the salted caramel and the cinnamon dolce and...mmm.  Just everything.  There's a quiet hum.  I wish I had brought my computer--I might stay a while and get a few things done.  Waiting for my drink I plan to make it a habit to come back in the afternoons when I really need to focus.  They call my name and there it is--a venti, decaf peppermint mocha--non-fat with whip.  I take off that ridiculous sleeve and sip.

It's perfect--better than I hoped.  Why had I even hesitated?  When Ivy asks me later what the best part of my day was (which she does every night before bed), this will be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes