Letters

I'm reading a book about the wife of Alexander Hamilton.  It's written like a novel, told in the first person.  It's amazing to me how stories of historical figures are pieced together from letters and diaries.  It makes me wonder how the tales of today's figures will be told.  Will it be like the books of our current president, told from those who hate him or like other recent presidents, told from their own perspective, knowing that others will read it, trying to make themselves understood?  Will things from both sides be omitted or embellished to ensure a certain spin?  Can we assume that Eliza Hamilton did not expect her letters or diaries to be ready by others and that, therefore, she could be honest?  Will today's heros and villians have their stories pieced together from social media?  Will we be limited to tweets and emojies to try to understand history?  Oh, I hope not! 

I used to write letters--daily.  I wrote to Nick every day when we lived apart, even when we spoke just as often.  I'm happy to know that he saved each and every one of my letters (though he was often somewhat lax in responding to them.  Humph.).  I wrote to friends, family and even to myself in a way.  I certainly never intended for any of those letters to be read by anyone other than the addressee, though I'm sure someone else stumbled across them once in a while. 

They're nothing monumental.  I'm not that exciting.  But I wonder, will letters like that exist enough for stories to be pieced together in the future?  Will someone find the mounds of letters I wrote and assume me more important or exciting than I am? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes