The F Word

 Ike is a talker.  More of a shouter really.  There's no wondering about gender stereotypes--he is ALL boy ALL the time.  It's a different world raising a son.  He barrels head first into whatever he sets his sights on.  Sometimes it's the couch.  Sometimes it's the cat.  I suspect neither one of them likes it much but he just keeps going.

One thing that's the same though are the things he says.  Sometimes we laugh and sometimes we cover our mouths (and his) in embarrassment.  

A few weeks ago we were in Target.  He's the only one who doesn't have to wear a mask.  Most of the time, I'm glad for it.  Not this time.  I wanted to plant one on him and never take it off.  As we're walking through the store, he just starts yelling.  This isn't new.  He's not making words, just OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!  OOOOOOOOHHHHHH!  Sometimes it's jabber but mostly just yelling.  

Until it's not just yelling.  It's him yelling that word.  A word he NEVER hears because I can't even think it.  

"F---!"

"F---!"

Over and over!  Just "F---!"

"Ike!  Stop it!"

"F---!"

I try shushing him but it doesn't work.  "F----!"

No one is really noticing.  But in my mind they're all staring at me from behind their masks thinking "what kind of mother IS she?".

I'd hide my head in shame, but thankfully no one recognizes me because of this lovely mask mandate.  And so, we proceed through our shopping with my son shouting obscenities at everyone who walks by.  

Is this what it's like to raise a boy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes