Productivity

Productivity is a luxury when you're quarantined with 4 children.  I try to stay focused and efficient and, in reality, if you were to isolate the time I actually spend working (on my job, that is), I probably am pretty productive for the time I get to spend.  Problem is, it's not focused time and it's not big chunks of time.  It's frustrating to be sure, so when I got an email about a 15 minute productivity webinar (free!) I was all in!  This could be great!  I could get a tip or two that would help me. 

At the appointed time, I logged into the Zoom meeting and eagerly awaited.  I was spending valuable nap time on this so I had high hopes.

I was disappointed. 

Really disappointed.

It started out promising, like most webinars.  Separate what you spend your time on into four buckets:

  1. Important and urgent
  2. important, not urgent
  3. urgent, not important
  4. not urgent not important
Big reveal--spend your time on buckets 1 and 2.  Um. Ok.  Well, that's not possible.  I can think of things that fit into each category.

Important and urgent: screaming, hungry kids.  Feed them now.  Grant proposal due TOMORROW.  Web updates--you have one hour.  Phone is ringing--it's the boss.  ANSWER it!  Poopy diaper!  Say no more.
Important, not urgent:  impact report for big donor.  Due Friday.  Ivy needs help with algebra.  I'm a math EXPERT (well, 7th grade math anyway).  Newly wealth screened donors--need to connect with these folks.
Urgent, not important:  children fighting over Mario Kart--split it up before there's blood.  Phone is ringing--dry cleaning is ready.  We ARE open.  Audio book expires tomorrow.  Gotta update those social media pages with volunteer highlights (we have NO followers).
Not urgent, not important:  floor needs mopping.  Expense report for December (yes, December) still not finished.  Baby is eating cheerios off the floor (ok, I don't care that much...except WAIT, the floor needs mopping!).

Sigh.  

I can not ignore those things marked not important.  I can't.  Got any more tips?

YES!  DELEGATE!

Um, to whom?

Have no one to delegate to?

Oh, YES!  That's me--what's the answer?

Hire an ASSISTANT! 

Seriously?  If I had paid for this I'd want my money back.

It seems this productivity webinar is not for busy working moms who are married to essential workers during a global pandemic.  When THAT webinar is offered, I'd gladly pay for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes