Something new I'm playing around with...

Church was my one our of peace each week.  It was the go go go of our lives that caused so much stress and on Sunday morning, I left the babies in the nursery and felt my arms lighten.  I could swing them, let them hang loose, raise them in the air--anything I wanted.

It was the one place I could blend into the walls and no one really knew me.  That's what I really wanted.  To blend in.  To be one of the masses.  The "mega church" we attended was really huge--3,000 people came on Sunday mornings.  I sat in the same seat every week but never sat with the same people.  I never got to know anyone.  No one cared what I was wearing or whether or not I stood for the singing (I never did--I hate the singing.  I just like to listen.) or if I brought my coffee mug in with me.

I looked forward to church in a way I hadn't in years.  It was an hour of peace, yes but also the only place I could go to ask for help from the One best able to provide it.  It was hard for me to ask for help.  With my husband overseas for who knew how long and two babies to care for by myself plus working full time, I should have asked for help.  Most people would.  But I couldn't.  I just couldn't.  I hated admitting weakness.  I hated it when anyone could see through the veil and know that I didn't have it all together.  Because I knew, somewhere deep, that I could do this--I could GET it together.  Sundays made me believe it.

Mostly though I never wanted my husband to know how hard it was.  If he knew, he'd feel guilty and I didn't want that.  Nothing would change except how I looked at things.  How I managed things.  I was in control of how I reacted to whatever came my way.  Sunday made me remember that.  It shifted my perspective from all that still needed to be done to all that had already been accomplished.  Look at the week we just survived!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes