I do not beg...

Fall.  It's FINALLY here!  It's grey and gloomy, damp and a bit rainy, colorful, crisp--just PERFECT!  These are my absolute favorite days.  The kind where I want to curl up with a cup of coffee and a good book.  What better books to read in October than Halloween themed books! 

I started one last week called Fundraising the Dead.  A mystery about a development director?  WHAT???  So perfect for me!  Or so I thought.

Humph.  Not so much.  I'm just about a quarter of the way through and I'm not sure I have the stomach for it.  First, the main character is having an affair with the executive director of the museum she fundraises for.  Um, bad idea.  He might be (as described) gorgeous and suave but let's just not go there.  Maybe I have my head in the sand and this happens a lot.  I hope not.

But the real kicker for me is her attitude about fundraising.  She specifically refers to it as "begging". 

Begging?  Really?  I know no true development professional who views his or her job this way.  I certainly do not.  I do not beg for money.  I do not go about with my hand out.  I do not have a cup I hold out asking for alms.  No.

What I do has so much more dignity than that.  So, what do I do?  Yes, it's true--I ask people for money.  But that's not even the biggest part of my job.  Fundraising isn't about money.

WHAT???

Nope--not about money.  It's about connecting people with causes that matter to them.  I know very few philanthropists who have the time and talents to run a non-profit (some might think they do but most will acknowledge that they do not and get out of the way).  If I was a super savvy business person who earned enough money to solve (in my opinion) the most pressing social issue, I would likely find that I did not have the right skill set to develop the best plan that would indeed solve that problem.  I'd go looking for people who did have that skill set.  And those people would likely not have the same skills as a savvy business person earning large sums of money.  See how this works? 

I know people with available funds who are interested in solving certain social issues.  I know people who are actively solving those same social issues.  I introduce them and MAGIC HAPPENS!

Ok, so it's not that simple but I have never EVER begged.  No one would respect me if I did. 

But back to the book--I'm one of those people who has to finish a book if I start it so I'm sure I'll suffer through but if this turns out to be a series, I'm stopping at #1.

PS, I already suspect the Executive Director.  He's just a sleeze.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes