Easy on the Climber

Some women look at my life and ask me how I do it.  How do I raise 3 daughters (mostly) by myself?  How do I get up so early every day?  How do I work a full time job?  How do I have so much energy (it’s the coffee)?  How do you find time to read so much during the week?  The truth is I just do it.  My dad told me once that people afford what they want to and I think he was right.  He was talking about me getting a new car.  I really needed one but the payments were pretty high.  I’d just gotten a job in Kansas City and now had rent and food and a whole lot of other stuff.  But I needed a new car.  He was right—I found a way to afford it.  And I did.  I ate a lot of ramen noodles, but I was never late on a payment.

I think the same is true for time.  We make time for what we want to make time for.  It’s important to me to run every day so I get up early to fit it in before my kids are up.  It’s important to me to read a lot (reading is like a drug—I just can’t stay away) so I find interesting ways to fit it in.  I read while I run.  I read while I walk.  I read while I drive (audio books!).  I read while I’m drying my hair, while I get dressed, while I do the dishes, during commercials.  I always have books with me.  It’s kind of ridiculous.  It’s important to me to do my job well so I work when I need do.  It’s important to me to have time with my girls, so we bake together.  We watch silly TV shows together.  We sing songs at the top of our lungs in the car.

Life would be a lot easier if Nick were home.  If he had a 9-5 like me (ok, so it’s an 8-4:30 but you get the idea), he could help with after school activities.  He could be responsible for dinner once in a while (ok, no).  I could do the grocery shopping alone or he could do it for me (also no).  He could take the car in for an oil change or be responsible for making sure that dental appointments were scheduled or stay home with the kids on a snow day.  To be fair, he does do those things…when he’s home.  But his schedule is so unpredictable.  When he’s home, he does the laundry, cleaning, after school activities, eye doctor appointments and anything else that needs doing.  But we never know when he’ll be home.  And it sure would be nice to know.  Maybe we could plan an evening out.  Maybe I could attend an evening event for work without having to make sure a babysitter was on hand “just in case”.

Life is chaotic to be sure.  It’s busy, it’s challenging, it’s hard.  But I wouldn’t change a thing.  Why?  Because I have an amazing husband.  And he gave me 3 amazing children.  Our life is an adventure.  In the spring of 1998, I made an impassioned plea to God.  I asked the Almighty to give him to me.  And you know what?  He said yes.  It’s the greatest gift I’ve ever received and I will do everything I can to take care of it.  And he is a gift. 

Just last week he told me a story that reminded me how absolutely spectacular he is.  He managed to surprise me by coming home for 36 hours in the middle of his training just for my birthday.  On his way back to Houston, there was a family flying on his flight—standby.  Mom and daughter got space on the plane but Dad didn’t make it.  My husband volunteered to give up his comfy seat in economy plus and ride up front with the crew so that this man could be on the plane with his family.  He’s an amazing man and I’m so proud to be his wife. 

The truth is, not every woman is up for the job.  It takes a strong gal to hack it as Nick Olson’s wife.  She has to be willing to live life like this.  Only the strongest of women can handle the work, the stress, the demands.  Only the strongest of women can turn his head and keep him coming home.  And I can do it.  I DO do it.  I qualify for the position.  No one looks at Mt. Everest and shames it into flattening out.  No one says to it “you should be easier on the people who climb you.  You should take care to have less snow, less storms, a less steep climb.”  No—but when someone makes it to the top, we applaud them.  We say well done.  We marvel at their accomplishment.  Well, this life is my Mt. Everest and I’m climbing all the way to the top.  I don’t wish it were easier.  I don’t wish it were different.  I’m digging in and climbing up up up!  I embrace the challenge.  I’m up to the task.  And when this life is over, I’ll thank God in person for answering my prayer and giving me the man of my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes

Stupid stupid STUPID!