Madrid Starbucks

March 13, 2017
9:45 PM
I was on my own for dinner tonight.  Our Business Policy paper is due Friday and I have been tasked with the final edits.  We leave for Germany tomorrow and I am hoping to get some time with the team on the plane so we can tie up loose ends, make final edits and still have time to finish up our individual papers.
I went to The Good Burger when I was FINALLY hungry again.  After our insane lunch, I wasn’t sure it would ever happen.  It was definitely a step up from Burger King that first night, but I’ve had enough authentic food that I don’t feel guilty just getting something quick.  It saved me from yet another night of shopping of places that could be found in the King of Prussia Mall and I easily avoided the drunk fest that I’m convinced is happening with some of my classmates—it’s just not my thing.  I told myself I’d go to bed early, but here it is just after 10 and I’m still wide awake. 
We leave for Germany tomorrow and I’m sad to leave Spain.  I’ve always looked forward to this part of the trip more than Germany, though I’m not sure why other than maybe the weather.  It’s been crazy windy here lately but still very warm.  Hopefully the wind will die down enough for a nice run tomorrow morning.

March 14, 2017
7:15 AM
I was able to get in a brief run this morning—just to the Starbucks (that opens earlier) and then a walk back to the hotel.  This wind is absolutely NUTS.  It kept me awake last night.  I’ve been taking a Tylenol PM just to help me fall and say asleep, hoping to get on the right time zone.  It will probably happen just as we’re heading home. 

When I walked into the Starbucks, I was greeted by the same barista that I saw yesterday as she was cleaning the glass on the front door.  I greeted her with the customary “hola!” and she smiled and then said something to the barista behind the counter.  He said hello to me and then repeated my drink back to me. 

“Venti café mocha with skinny milk?”  I’d never heard of skinny milk before, but assuming it meant non-fat, I smiled and said yes.  I was absolutely thrilled that they knew my order.  Thinking back on my study of Starbucks last semester, though, I shouldn’t be shocked at all.  This was, after all, the Starbuck’s Experience. 

“You want soft coffee?”  he asked me.  I had no idea what soft coffee was and I gave him a quizzical look.  He paused for a moment.  “Um, soft coffee, strong coffee.”  His last words were robust.  Now I get it.


“Oh, strong coffee, definitely.”  He made my drink and I walked back to the hotel.  I think that was my favorite Spain moment, maybe because it felt so much like home.

Comments

El said…
Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz's books are great, even though they contradict each other and reality from time-to-time. His story of the way his father was treated at his blue collar job and wanting to create a place where no-one was ever treated like that again is very moving. In this cynical world, my mind automatically adds an "if it's true" to that thought. If you respect the "Starbucks Experience," pick up Howard's first two books. Good stuff. Would love to talk Starbucks with you again someday.
Robin Olson said…
YES! I have an entire Starbucks library after studying the company for my EMBA. Still love it despite the hypocrisy, the selling out and the "corporate" nature it now has. I love the romance of the Starbucks story and how so much of my life has been lived there.

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes