On the other hand...

I read a lot of books on writing, hoping it will help me not only to be a better writer, but to convince myself that I'm not doing it wrong. We writers all have our reasons for not writing, whether they're valid or not is up to each of us to decide. The book I fished today (and by finished, I don't mean I read the whole thing--I'm just DONE with it) is called Write: 10 Days to End Writer's Block or something like that.

I remember buying it thinking "wow--10 days and I'll have something worth writing". Well, I've learned a lesson all right. Nothing happened after 10 days and nothing will. The whole premise of this book was that in order to free yourself and get over the blank page--for whatever reason--was to...get ready. This is gonna be good.

Write with your other hand.

WHAT?

Yep--put the pen in my LEFT hand and give it a try! Um, that's stupid.

It was full of these questions, written exactly the same way twice, where you answer it once with your dominant hand and once with your non dominant hand. To say I was skeptical was an understatement, but I figured, what the heck, and gave it a try.

Dominant Hand: What's your biggest reason for not writing right now? I have two small children who demand most of my attention.

Non dominant Hand: What's your biggest reason for not writing right now? I have two small children who demand most of my attention.

Uh, yeah--that's the same exact answer no matter what hand I used. Of course, the author got different reasons using different hands. I'm sorry, that's crap. About halfway through the book I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with this and decided that the best use for this book was to fill my recycle bin. So, that's where it is. I even threw it in twice--once with each hand. It landed in there both times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes

Stupid stupid STUPID!