I've Gone Insane

Brace yourselves--I've stopped drinking coffee.

Dun dun DUN! If this were an episode of Law & Order, here's where you'd here the "Glung glung!"

Yes, it's true. I've gone cold turkey. I know, what's wrong with me? Well, I'll tell you--I'm trying something new. I read a book called "Skinny Bitch". The title cought my eye. It's basically promoting an organic vegan diet. Yeah yeah--heard it all before. But then I thought, "I wonder if I can do it." You know, just to try it out and see how hard it is. Well, I'm here to say--it's not that hard. I can't do the vegan cheese--just not it for me. And even though all of my wonderful Coffee Mate creamers say that they're non-dairy, there is a milk ingredient in them (sodium caseinate), so that's out. I did have a soy mocha at Starbucks and it was good, so if I'm dying (not so far) I'll have one. But really, this hasn't been tough--and I've lost 1.5 pounds. The hardest part is thinking "ooh, I'll eat THAT!" and then I flip the box over and see those dissappointing words "contains milk". Hmm. Crap. I can't eat THAT. I can't eat crackers, some breads, white sugar (processed with ground up animal bones!!! EEEEWWWWWWW!), chocolate, and a whole host of other things.

Now, this is not exactly inline with my everyday vegetarianism--I do not believe that it's necessary to eat animals. I do not believe that it's healthy to eat animals (for people, for animals, for the environment), I do not believe that it's morraly wrong to eat animals any more than it's morraly wrong to eat chocoalte cake--the Bible clearly states that we can eat them. I just don't think we need to torture them. They are all God's creatures--God's gifts to us. We ought to take better care of them.

I generally feel the same way about eggs and dairy. One difference--it's possible to eat eggs and dairy without harming the animals. True, it doesn't really happen, but I'm taking on one thing at a time. It's like tithing--I know I should do it, but it's REALLY HARD and sometimes I just don't have 10% of my income to spare. I'm not perfect. I don't claim to be. If anyone wants to start in on me for eating eggs and dairy because those same cows and chickens are slaughtered later, I'd like to ask you--do you eat them? If you don't, then GREAT! You're ahead of me. I congratulate you. I may get there someday. I'm just not there yet. I need to spend some more time with my vegan cookbooks.

My current experiment with veganism is strictly on a weight loss level. I want to see if eliminating these things will affect my weight. So far, the answer is YES! And above all, I'm trying lots of new things.

My coffee substitute is AMAZING! I bought some almond milk and some Godiva hot cocoa mix (the kind you have to add milk to because there's none in the mix). WOW! That was good stuff. My general plan is to go vegan during the week and vegetarian on the weekends. I'm spending WAAAAAY less money on coffee, which is nice, and I'm eating lots more fruit. I found a fabulous little market here in Phoenix (Sprouts--same as Henry's in San Diego) which has lots of fun bulk foods. So, will I never eat cheese again, no. Will I never have another cup of coffee? No. I've never been a big milk drinker, so that part is really easy. I'm just trying it out. If you see me chomping down on chocolate cookies or guzzling a frappe, don't point a finger. I'm just taking a break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes

Stupid stupid STUPID!