A Room of My Own...

I've been reading The Writer's Desk by Jill Krementz--it's a thin book full of black and white photos of famous writers in their elements, presumably, as they write. They all have a short blurb of encouragement or a brief description of their methods--it's all very motivating. In fact, I've done more writing this week than in the past month, probably. Amidst all of the chaos, I wonder why I don't have more time to write. I truly believe it's mostly that I don't have a good place to go. Excuses excuses! I know, but it is most definitly part of my problem. So, I start to day dream. What would my picture look like if I were in this book?

I'd have a large bay window with thick heavy curtains that would let in or keep out the light. My back would be to the window as I write at my mahogany desk that has a computer but plenty of room for free writing by hand as well. Shelves line the walls and they're completely full of books. In one corner is an overstuffed chair with an ottoman, an end table and a floor lamp. This is where I'll do my research. Somewhere within reach is a coffee pot.

There is no phone, no radio or tv. I might have a few candles for atmosphere, but everything else comes from the story. Now, if I could just get this room, I'd have a bestseller, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

Shoes=Outside

The Wonderful World of Meat Substitutes